Thursday, May 29, 2014

Days Following My Marathon

Knowing that I was going to start a running streak the day after my first full marathon did initially raise some red flags for me but, thankfully Bill suggested that I continued to move around (ie walk, stretch, etc) after the marathon on Sunday and as much as I just wanted to laid down go to sleep immediately after the race, I walked about 3 quarters to way to the van before I told that I really needed to stop and rest and to please go get the van.  After we got back to the hotel room, I told a fairly quick shower, put my compression socks on, we finished packing up everything up and headed back to Victor to get the kids from my dad & stepmom's house.  The ride there I kept my legs elevated as much as possible with being a vehicle, we stopped at rest stop to use the bathroom and get water, then after we got off the Thurway we stopped for pizza because I really wanted pizza and beer (didn't drink the beer until later though).  Got to my dad and stepmom's house, where we relaxed for a little bit, again I was moving around slowly and when I was sitting I had my legs elevated.  Our daughter got to watch the video of me crossing the finish line and thought it was awesome and amazing that her mommy completed a marathon and asked when could she run a 5K or kids' race again.  Packed them up and headed home, once home my body started feeling a tight and sore so, I took a Epsom salt bath for about 20 - 30 minutes, which definitely helped me because it loosen up muscles as well as soreness started to go away.  We ate dinner, kids went to bed, I fell asleep on the couch for a short time and Bill woke me up to go to bed.
I got the following day around 5 am because I was going to meeting up with some of MRTT mamas for short run to start the Memorial Day to Labor Day running streak.  I was expecting for my muscles to sore, tender, and tight but, surprisingly they weren't and I truly believe that because I use the run/walk method in my race the lactic acid didn't build up like it would have otherwise.  Plus, between continuing to move around, Epsom salt bath, stretching, and the compression socks/sleeves (I slept with sleeves on my calves).  So, I met up with the MRTT mamas, they were surprised that I was willing to attempt to run and what not, they allowed walking breaks because I didn't want to push it knowing it was day after.  I did 2.27 miles with them and then continued on with their run and I was satisfied with the short run.  Came home started pushing the water, carbs, and protein for food/drink as well as doing other household chores and continuing stretch and move slowly as needed.
Tuesday morning, my body was feeling a little sore, tender, tight than Monday morning but, again I stretch continued to move around slowly pushed the fluids.  Tuesday afternoon, I was feeling a bit tired so I was listening to my body when I went for my run in take slow and easy, which I did.  Stretched after the run and pushed the fluids until bedtimes.
Wednesday morning, my body was feeling back to normal, no soreness anymore, I still felt like I should stretch and pushed the fluids to help, just in case.  I decided that I was only to try to do a mile run because I'm still in my recovery week and I don't want to push it too far too quick.  I ended up doing 1.26 miles in 11:12 (8:55 pace), my body felt good so I went with it.
Today, I'm day 4 of my running streak and I do feel a bit tired this morning so, I'm listening to my body in that I will do a slow and easy 1 mile run this afternoon plus, some stretching and Epsom salt bath before bed tonight.
The biggest things I'm learning or have learned thus far, that in the end it is my journey ever changing as it, listening my body, knowing my cycle (keeping a journal about it), and stretching.  Would I suggest this method to everyone, absolutely NOT but, it is working for me and I own that.

No comments:

Post a Comment