Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Week 1 of triathlon training

About 5 or 6 years, I told Bill that I wanted to do an Ironman by the time that I was 40 years old.  So, in January I started toying with the idea of doing a half Ironman.  Bill reminded me that I wanted to do one by the time I was 40, well time was running out because I was turning 39 in March and if I wanted to do one before I was 40 it was going to have to this year.  So, I bite the bullet and sign up for half Ironman locally in July.  I figured that a half Ironman would a good challenge especially after 2 Ultramarathons, 7 Marathons, and LPN school.

Where to start? I read multiple websites, a few books, etc.  I found IronFit and I like that training plan the book laid especially since I'm currently overnight LPN in Transitional Care Unit.  I knew that I just wanted to finished because I had never done a triathlon.  So now I had a plan to follow let's do it.  So, I set to start my training plan by the end of March

THEN,.........

COVID-19 happened.

Now, public school are closed until further notice, pools are closed, social distancing, essential workers are only people that should be out and about, etc.

Adjustments had to made to training i.e. more biking and running instead of swimming.  Being a former competitive swimmer, I feel so-so with the swim part of the race because it is a  shortest part of the race. 

The biggest takeaways from week one of training is heart rate training is hard especially for running, biking on a trainer is way different than being outside riding, having bike shoes that clip definitely getting use to, balancing work, training, being homeschool teacher, wife, mom of 3 is holy hard. 

Positives of week 1: Bill is an awesome support person, always keeps me accountable.  Tailwind nutrition is amazing for my overnight shift as well as training workout, loving the recovery formula, and I'm loving the challenge.

Negatives of week 1: Dislike my bike shoe clips, trying to rebuild endurance, missing out on the swim part because COVID-19, and finding the balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment